Welcome to Bengaluru – A city that is on the move, constantly changing, evolving and absorbing people. Bengaluru is an important commerce hub in the South and the nucleus of the Indian IT industry. Bengaluru is also becoming India’s preferred shopping destination.
- Population - 6.2 million and growing at an annual rate of 3.5 %. In the last 10 years Bengaluru's population has increased by around 30 per cent; and is today ranked the 7th most affluent city in India.
- The IT Revolution - Texas Instruments set up shop in 1986 paving the way for the IT revolution which led to many multinationals like IBM, DELL setting up shop here and the emergence of Indian MNCs like Infosys and Wipro.
- Travel & tourism - Today, Bengaluru is one of South India's major tourist hubs. From being a stopover destination, Bengaluru has now progressed to become a must on any traveler's South India itinerary. An important segment,
- Shopping destination - Bengaluru is fast becoming India's preferred shopping destination, with international brands jousting for eyeballs and a share of the consumer's wallet. (Louis Vuitton has just opened one of its largest showrooms at UB City, Bengaluru)
- The people - Presence of a large expatriate population, a pool of well-travelled executives and a booming national economy have all contributed to making Bengaluru a haven for retailers.
- Getting around in Bengaluru - The new Metro rail will weave its way through the city's main transit points and play an important role in decreasing traffic congestion. The newly opened Bangalore International Airport, one of the biggest in the world, will help rapidly increase the number of visitors and tourists to the city.